One thing that helps me cope with the
train wreck seemingly never-ending cycle of unfortunate events that has been my 2016 is taking a moment when I’m stressed to think about 5 things that I am thankful for. And since this week just happens to be the week of Thanksgiving, that couldn’t be more fitting.
While I was sitting down– locked in the bathroom, because let’s be real. When the heck have I had time to sit down in the past week? If you’re wondering, the answer is NEVER. While I was sitting there, I realized I do have a lot of things to be thankful for (in no particular order).
- My husband having the opportunity to go to medical school. Having the opportunity to go to medical school to learn how to save people’s lives is a pretty cool thing. Yes, the hours right now are miserable, and we hate having to live off of student loans while all of our other friends have started making money at their grown-up jobs, but this is only temporary. And it will set us up to live a pretty decent lifestyle in the long run.
- My two healthy boys. As hard as the days have been since we lost our sweet baby James, I have to say I am so thankful to have my two living children here with me now. Even though they just about put me over the edge this week with their busted lips and ER visits, we have been relatively lucky to have two healthy growing boys.
- My saint of a husband. Y’all. I don’t know what I did to deserve a man like him. Yes, he can be a total dick to me when we’re fighting about something, and yes, I loathe the fact that he mouth breathes when he sleeps. But he is seriously amazing. With all of my struggles with PPD and being way too competitive and just pretty high maintenance in general, he must be a saint to continue to put up with me. I know I can always count on him because if I haven’t scared him away yet, then I know he’ll always be here.
- Living in Columbia. For the time being, I get to live in my hometown. Close to my parents and my in-laws. Having that extra support when you have children is invaluable and something that I will never take for granted because I know what it’s like to be away from them. I have some pretty amazing friends here too, and I’m close enough to my other friends so that I get to see them when I need to.
- Social media. As much as I love to hate social media, I’ll admit, I have come to appreciate it recently. I wouldn’t be able to keep up with what everyone’s doing without it, and no one (aside from people I see on the reg) would get to see my sweet boys grow up. Plus, I’ve met some pretty amazing people since I started this little blog, and I’m having so much fun with it.
There you have it. That’s my 5 things. Brought to you by my 2 minutes of
silence semi-quiet locked in the bathroom while tiny hands tried to reach underneath the door. #momlyfe