I am the oldest of three sisters. And I always knew I was going to grow up to have girls. Because that was what I grew up around. Besides participating in every sport known to man, and playing outside all the time, and watching college football, we were a pretty girly bunch. We played with Barbies and My Littlest Pet Shop, and we pretended we were mommas to our little American Girl Dolls and our Bitty Babies and Cabbage Patch Kids. And even though I hated it at the time– and refused to smile for the Christmas picture– we dressed like the little southern girls that we were. Big bows and smocked dresses. My mom always told me that payback would be hell, should I ever have a little girl. And she’s probably right.
But for now, I have had the great fortune of being a total boy mom. Three baby boys– two on earth, and one sweet angel in heaven. And it has been the sweetest ride, so far. Looking back on my childhood, and how I was so sure that I was going to grow up to be a mother of girls– it’s so funny to see how God’s plan is different from our own. Today, I’m rounding up the top ten things I love the most about being a boy mom (in no particular order).
- They love watching me get ready to go somewhere. Without fail, if I head to the bathroom to start putting my makeup on, I will hear the pitter patter of little feet running after me to jump up on the potty where they will sit and offer to hand me my tools (makeup brushes, mascara, etc.). Sometimes it’s annoying, but most of the time, it just makes me feel like a princess.
- They love playing outside. This is good because it gets me off my butt and keeps me moving at all times. We go go go. We are always doing something, and if we aren’t, then we will be in a couple minutes.
- They like to run around naked in the summer time (only at the river– don’t worry, I keep them clothed in public).
- They like to burp. This is awesome because I also enjoy burping. Sometimes we have competitions.
- They give me really good kisses. And they never miss one. Every night before they go to sleep, no matter what we’re doing, they always ask “give mommy a kiss?” It melts my heart every single time.
- They are best friends. Being only 16 months apart makes for a lot of chaos, but it also makes for a lot of heartwarming moments like these.
- Their clothes are just adorable. As cute as dresses and bows are, bubbles and jon jons are too precious for words.
- They look up to their daddy. This really makes me melt. They copy every move he makes– so I’m thankful that he sets a good example for them to follow.
- They look just like their dad. This makes me swoon. Their dad is hot, y’all.
- They like play rough. They’ll just run up to me and knock me over sometimes, and I’m totally cool with it. They like to hang upside down and swing from branches like monkeys.