Blogging about life and living it to the fullest. Pretend princess/mermaid. Actual basic southern millennial trophy wife.
Childhood Cancer

A Short Summer Break

The past week and a half has been wonderful. We got to spend some much needed time outside of the hospital as a family. I’ve really gotten the hang of caring for Reese’s central line– everyone said it would become second nature, and it really has. I’m basically a professional at this point, so that’s a relief.

Once we got home, little man’s hair started falling out all over the place, so we decided it would be best to just go ahead and buzz the rest of it off. I will admit I wasn’t entirely ready for that. I was a lot more torn up about it than I thought I would be. When he had hair, he just looked like my normal, healthy Reese. Now that his hair is gone, he just looks like a kid that has cancer. I wasn’t ready for it. I am so grateful that he is a little boy, and he could care less about his hair. He will also have little to no memory of any of this when he gets older, and that is a huge blessing in my eyes.

Reese has been so pleasant for the past few weeks, and you can really see his old personality starting to return because he genuinely feels better. That makes my heart so happy. Up until this point, it had been a couple of months since we had seen him smiling and running around– and we had no idea what was wrong (before the diagnosis). He has been bouncing back from the chemo so wonderfully that last weekend we were able to get out of town for a couple of days. We spent the weekend in Myrtle Beach. While it wasn’t exactly easy with two confused toddlers and two worn-out parents, it was still nice to have a change of scenery from the hospital. We didn’t spend much time outside because everyone was pretty grouchy, but we did get to spend a little bit of time at the beach, and the boys had a good time.

Monday, we went down to MUSC for a consult regarding Reese’s upcoming stem cell harvest. That’s going to be happening over the Fourth of July. I’m going to be taking Reese down to Charleston by myself because Matt is going to be starting residency that same week, so that’ll be interesting. I’m hoping that we will only be there for a couple of days, but they told us to plan on being there most of the week.

Other than that, we’ve just been doing regular things like running errands and seeing friends. We tried to get Reese out of the house as much as possible with his brother, so they could feel like normal kids. It was so nice to feel normal for a few days– even if it was just going to places like Target and the mall. You’d be surprised how much you take for granted when you’re healthy.

Right now we are on day two of cycle two of chemo. So far so good– no nausea to speak of, and Reese has just been bouncing off the walls since we got admitted. That has been difficult because Matt and I don’t have as much energy as he does, and all he wants to do is ride around the halls in the wagon. This means hundreds of laps around the halls (mostly for Matt because he has way more endurance than this pregnant chick). When I do join them, my transportation of choice is usually the green scooter. I should probably be walking to try to burn off some of the cookies and cupcakes everyone keeps sending us, but for now, I’m just being lazy. That’s really it for now– Matt and I figured out how to get Netflix in the hospital room, so we’re off to binge-watch 13 Reasons Why, now that Reese is sleeping. SO GOOD.

This site is protected by

%d bloggers like this: